Monday, August 15, 2016

Session IV: 73116 – 81316





Escape from Philadelphia



Session IV: 73116 – 81316


On the big canvas, this week was essentially a plateau. We came out with a small “win” on the gain vs. loss scoreboard [-0.4] but our averages nudged higher. Everything has been increasing since changing the eating style, albeit very slowly. The rate of weight gain this year as compared to last year is 5.5 lbs slower. In “real” digits… last year at this time I’d gained 24.9 lbs., as compared to this year; I’ve only gained 19.4. Last year’s losses were more dramatic as well – my net weight gain was 3.5 lbs as compared to less than a pound [0.6] this year.

On the activity front, I was probably doing Summer II at Temple last year which meant two days in a row of aerobic activity as compared to this year, I'm only doing one day a week. I’m not doing a vigorous AM workout at home, opting for more stretching and bending, and I am also not training every day, purposely taking days off in between. Training consists of a combination of body weight and weight lifting and no more than 90 minutes. I haven’t been going very heavy on the lifts.

As far as nutrition (maybe “noots” instead of diet) goes – more fat in the diet; the same amount of protein and fewer carbs, although I don’t know if I can realistically reduce the carbs any more. I feel like I need fewer hours sleep daily, to sleep better, but this weekend, maybe out of boredom, I found myself sleeping a LOT. I don’t believe that you can’t ‘catch up’ on sleep, because I do it often.

The feel and the look – I feel stronger, but not as strong as I was ten years ago. My shirts feel tighter in the upper-upper, shoulders and back, they feel shorter as well, as if the back is pulling them up. The belly is consistently looking more defined and leaner, despite what the scale is telling me about fat weight. The torso measurements were very much the same as last time despite overall weight gain. I see that as a good sign.

I’m looking at this slow and steady weight gain as a positive development. As long as I’m not feeling sluggish, weak and slow and keep seeing better definition in the torso (even on the sides, which I tend to not mention as much) I’m going to stay on this course, tweaking as necessary, and see where it takes me.

And that’s this week’s evaluation.


Day
Sunday
7-31
Monday
8-1
Tuesday
8-2
Wednesday
8-3
Thursday
8-4
Friday
8-5
Saturday
8-6
Ave.
Weight
182.6
182.6
181.6
182.6
181.6
182.6
181.6
182.1
Body Fat %
15.7
15.7
15.6
15.7
15.6
15.8
15.5
15.7
BF wt.
28.67
28.67
28.33
28.67
28.33
28.85
28.15
28.52
H2O %
61.7
61.7
61.7
61.7
61.7
61.6
61.8
61.7
H2O wt
112.66
112.66
112.04
112.66
112.04
 112.48
112.22
112.35
Muscle mass %
43.8
43.8
43.8
43.8
43.8
43.8
43.9
43.8
Muscle wt.
80
80
79.54
80
79.54
79.8
79.72
79.8
MM:BF
ratio
2.79
2.79
2.81
2.79
2.81
2.79
2.83
2.8


73116 – Sunday [#43]: The scrap book becomes the workout journal. Not enough scraps/memories to fill this up… or maybe too many. This means nothing in this forum.

Wake 0700… long AMX, stretch, twist, pushups, crunches, ab work, leg raises. Improvement.

Tea –
Weigh in [-3.4] pretty good. Got some activity in the rain at the pool yesterday.

Got lamb w/ farmer’s market stock in the crock pot. Time to break the fast, with lamb soup.

Yesterday’s torso digits are mostly the same so weight gain over the last approximately 45 days suggest muscle growth. The mirror suggests the same. Scale has fat% up-ish. Mid-high 15% ave. I’d cautiously pronounce muscle weight up, but the scale is not noticing/reflecting. So as I’ve been advised again and again, “keep doing what you’re doing.”

Breakfast ignited the metabolism. Sweat storm.
Round I: [NF] –
Seems low energy today. Body is sore too, in places I trained Friday. Body does look better. More depth in the chest. More detail in the abs. less fat in the belly. Keep on.

Meal – bowl of cottage cheese and vitamins.

If I want more energy I’ll have to generate it myself. Thermodynamics.
Got chores done.

Round II: [NS] –

Head to the Y – blowout stack w/ P-butter. Ankle feels so-so. Did some rehab work earlier. No ice though. BWT & Machine combo today.

(Great dream with Stazja. She was maybe 5 – 7 years old. Big hugs. Made me so happy. “Stay close Stazja”) Dream note: Doing a better job of dealing with heights in my dreams.
Slight headache. Maybe craving sugar?  2x tea so far.

YMCA- BCAA’s & BY – warm ups.
Thigh dips, leg extensions 5 rounds. Pulls inverted, handstand pushups. Over bar push, close-ish.  Shrugs BB and bent flies. Standing db press, one arm cable front raises, face pulls (cable). Hanging oblique ‘plank’ 3 rounds.

Stretch, walk a little. Hot out. Dry hot. Will ride most of the way home. 
Post: aminos and glutamine and apple.

Round III: [N] – After workout. Home, shower, hunger.
House party [Bella]: Tandoori chicken 7guinness.
No night ritual. 2230-ish – but not quick to sleep.

80116 – Monday [#44]: Wake 0400 – slight headache (is this associated with ketogenic diet?)
AMX – stretch, twist, pushups and abs work.
Tea –
Weigh in – same, but no weight out – no biggie.
Bkft – Lamb soup.
Good gait to the train station – no limp. Very light soreness in the ankle 1/10 I’d say. Good up the steps, but breathing – not used to it. I feel like I’m gaining “good” weight and Bod is functioning.

Gig: slim Jim and peanuts, left over from yesterday’s emergency food pick up. Then got into the trail mix.

Round I: [N] –
Lunch – park’s 69% turkey, greens, cot-cheese, avos. Noon.
Round II: [N] –
Yogurt – Blowout stack.

YMCA – Ego Work;
Round III: [N]
Biceps, triceps, upper chest. Good YGX session too. About 85%.
Post BCAA’s and glutamine. I should do dinner. [Lamb soup, of course].

Dinner – soup.
Grabbed some blueberries and almonds. I should start juicing again.

No night ritual. Seems like I can stay up later +2200 now. Fought off a slight headache. Iced the ankle.

Weigh out 182.6 – same. So maybe drop some tonight. Cool evening. And I’m out.


80216 – Tuesday [#45]: Wake 0400.

AMX, stretch, twist, abs.
Tea –
Weigh in [-1] – what can I do today to keep this trend going? Low cal?
Bkft – Lamb soup.
Good quick walk to the train station. Ankle rehab at wake up. Feeling ok. Still about 1/10 soreness.

Gig: Round I: [BF – K] – Apple and T-mix (done by 0900)
Round II: [XQ-F] – cherries. Yogurt.

Pants are looser – pull belt tighter. Ketosis??

Home – tea, chores, clean gym (wear ankle weights to work), fruit smoothie.

Dinner – Angus, turnips, shrooms, cottage cheese.

Going to make it on 5 hours sleep. Maybe more dynamic AMX tomorrow and gym time. BWT or weights, or combo? Depends on the crowd and the feel. Might be due for chest – back or chest legs.

Don’t feel the need for the night ritual (every night). Maybe I’ll start ACV again.

Weigh out 184 – [+2.4].
80316 – Wednesday [#46]: Wake 0400 Good wake.
Round I: [N] -
AMX – stretch and twist –
Tea & weigh in [-1]
182.6 – set weigh for now. I expect to gain, but keep the visible fat low. Continue to shred.  Looks like I’m in maintenance.  Slept better, maybe 5.5 hours sleep is good. Still get sleepy at work, when I don’t move around… and read.
Bkft – cottage cheese and celery. Filling?

Seaweed & Trail Mix.
Round II: [NS] – Cherries, tea, yogurt.
Head Home – apple on the way.
Home: Round III: [NS] – schedule change. Got chills! P-Butter scoops..
Tea –
FB Battles… ha ha, Politics.
Round IV: [N] – seemed strong.
Home Work: Crawl and BWT work. Amazing workout. Surprising what these moves do. I need much more of this.
Weigh out – 182.6 [Same 0]
Dinner – Lamb soup.
Chill and social discourse.
+2200 and not sleepy. So, decompress a bit. Note Fara deleted herself from “friendship” over politics. Oh well. Thought I’d note that. Good time for me to leave.

80416 – Thursday [#47]: Wake 0400.

AMX – the usual – stretch, twist. Noticing slight improvement.
Tea –
Weigh in: [-1]
Bkft – Lamb soup… Gone.

Good walk to the train station. Ankle is better not sure it can take impact yet. Strong up the steps.

Gig: Hungry – Apple first today.
2016’s average weight is steadily climbing into the 180s… and I don’t think I’ll be going back. I’ll just have to rely on the “look” over the numbers on the scale (and the tape)… Still my lowest year. (Chart).

Apple and T-Mix.
Round I: [NS] – Cherries.
Round II: [XQ] – Seaweed.
Tea – It’s hot out.

YMCA –
Round III: [X] – Interrupted my workout… punks!!
Leisurely workout.  Pre- BCAA’s & BY.
Dead lifts – Maxed 325 lbs. Not brute strong. Everything was heavy today.

DB flat press – 60 lbs… 3 x 12
DB pull overs maxed 75 lbs.
Chest flies and shrugs.. progressive 20, 25, 30…
60 minutes – mostly dead lifts with some hanging knee crunches in between.
Post - Amino & glutamine.

Aquarius Diner – eggs and sausage. Jupiter – can’t figure out why.
Home – Tea.
Dinner – T-burger, turnip hash brown.. scallions, cottage cheese.
Dark & Stormy night cap… for sleep.

Weigh out – 184.6  [+3] !!

No carbs today – but maybe the night cap. Keep eating.

80516 – Friday [#48]: wake 0400. Slow. Good sleep. Forgot about the rum. Nice treat.

Round I: [N] –
AMX, stretch, twist, animal floor work.
Tea –
Bkft – cottage cheese. Not very hungry and couldn’t think of what to cook for breakfast.

Yogurt & blueberries 2d breakfast.
Round II: [NS-M] –
T-Mix – vitamins

Round III: [N] – cherries – Jupiter. I think it’s the fruit.

Walk to south street. Burger and dark beers w/ the brothers. (Tim & Corwin). Then another good walk.     
Home – Tea
Passed out on the floor for several hours. So maybe it can be continued in the bed.

No weigh out – not hungry. 2130 – ish. Up early and train tomorrow? Park maybe? Oh, ankle played up again after sitting for a while.

Ciao.

80616 – Saturday [#49]: wake 0700 – day off . Long sleep with few interruptions. Got up slow.

AMX – stretch, twist, the usual, but more time at it.
Tea –
Round I: [NF]
Weight in – (no change/no weigh out) – slight improvement.

It’s a workout day. Will probably hit the Y. Might walk or walk back. Energy is low but I haven’t eaten yet. Got to put some blow out stack together. Maybe Clark Park or wander somewhere… or clean house. Stuff has to go out. Hard to trash stuff… but..

Meal #1 – noon. Burger, shrooms, cottage cheese, potatoes, another tea.
This meal knocked me out, probably because it was so big. Metab had work to do!.

I think the semi-Paleo eating is making a slow change. Weight and all digits are steady. Higher than I want, but the look! Maybe laste session at the Y, after 4 or 5… No distractions.

Today’s workout was sleep.. just gave the bod about two hours.

P-butter scoops, tea, blowout stack and out to the Y 1700 – whoa for lift therapy.

YMCA – pre-BCAAs & BY
Round II: [NF]  -
Started with warm ups w/ some lateral moves, crawling, then legs.

Squats – deep w/ light weight 5 – rounds.
Thighs dips  more powerful – 5 rounds.
Handstand jumps which isn’t  a Handstand, but going into one. 5 rounds. These really the heart going, because I’m not used to it.
Seated leg presses and calf press (on smith).
Headstand work.
Hanging obliques, cable twists, hanging knee raises.
90 minutes. Post glutamine and aminos, cayenne. Apple, ride to 6-9.. maybe home. Looks like rain.
Round III: [N] –
Rode all the way home. Fruit smoothie, creative and egg and cream. Scoop of cottage cheese.
Round IV: [XF-P]

Lower abs hurt from leg raises I think. Do more until these muscles adapt.
Weigh out – 182.8 [+1.2 lbs] – not bad.
Tea – ACV.. Nod 11:11 ha ha.

If I can hit 185 and drop fat% below 15 that would be sweet! Wrapped lf knee to train.. clicking. Rt outer elbow sore.. Rt ankle doing better. No heavy impact yet.

That is all for Session 4  -Part 1




Hot, humid, steamy and sweaty most of this week and I’m not sure how big a part the weather played in the steady decline in body weight. We were encouraged early with Sunday’s numbers, but we shot up on Monday, then tour surprise a small but  steady drop giving us a net loss of 1.4 lbs, which might be the biggest one-week drop of the BBC6 year so far. It also drops us below the zero horizon, which means we’ve actually lost more weight that we’ve gained, [-0.8]. Hopefully the trend continues.

This chart shows us plunging through the zero horizon, which means we've lost more weight than gained.


There was also more exercise, particularly at the Y this week. I kept the eating in the high-fat, low carb zone, which is probably a major contributing factor to the weight loss. I tend to under estimate the importance of nutrition, because for some reason it’s still unbelievable to me that what I eat can make such a difference. Nonetheless, I am following the theory, if not a specific ‘diet’ – for example, I have not created a meal plan and I’m not creating my meals based on any specific recipes. It’s all very basic. I think I had fewer no meat days this week and I also ate out more often than usual.

Theoretically if I keep doing what I’m doing nutritionally, the weight loss trend will continue until it bottoms out. Where that will be is anybody’s guess. Of course, as has been the case since I’ve been tracking this, the muscle weight tends to fall with the overall weight. I haven’t been as radical about the muscle:fat ratio, which has been respectable, but not where I want it. I’ve even upped my standards, which has put me further from my goal – which is a good thing… my goals shouldn’t be too east to attain.

We’ll declare this week a WIN!! Stay hungry! This may turn out to be a significant week.

Day
Sunday
8-7
Monday
8-8
Tuesday
8-9
Wednesday
8-10
Thursday
8-11
Friday
8-12
Saturday
8-13
Ave.
Weight
180.8
182.6
182
181.8
181.6
181.2
180.2
181.4
Body Fat %
15.4
15.6
15.7
15.7
15.6
15.7
15.2
15.6
BF wt.
27.84
28.49
28.57
28.54
28.33
28.45
27.39
28.23
H2O %
61.9
61.7
61.7
61.7
61.7
61.7
62
61.8
H2O wt
111.91
112.66
112.3
112.17
112.04
111.8
111.72
112.1
Muscle mass %
43.9
43.8
43.8
43.8
43.8
43.8
44
43.8
Muscle wt.
79.37
80
79.72
79.63
79.54
79.37
79.3
79.56
MM:BF
ratio
2.85
2.81
2.79
2.79
2.81
2.79
2.89
2.82


80716 – Sunday [#50]: Wake 0700 choppy sleep. Actually had a rum & cream to help me nod. Don’t let this become a habit…

AMX – stretch, twist, balance, plange training.
Tea –
Weigh in [ -2] – significant weight drop, maybe one meal yesterday.
Got turkey soup in the pot.. So. Bkft – Good spicy.

Ignorance in the age of information is a choice.”
Round I: [X-N] –
Walk to 6-9 and back for groceries. Nice but hot. 3 bowls of soup and random bites around the house. Nod-nap on the floor after. Don’t know what’s up with that? 4x tea… boredom tea… Got some chores and some clean up and writing.

Only 1 round today. Odd. But let me get some ACV before I nod and maybe chlorella as well.

Weigh out 182.6 [+1.8]. Gig tomorrow.

Good sleeping weather. Get good sleep. Wake strong!! Oh yeah, juiced today. Apple carrot, kiwi, ginger, beet.

80816 – Monday [#51]: Wake 0400 Good sleep too.

AMX – stretch, twist, abs… leg raises have gotten strong and chair bends are having a good effect. No more jumping as such b/c I knocked the ceiling tiles off from the basement.

Tea –
Weigh in: Very much the norm and I think this will become the average weight by December. No difference. No weight loss over night.

Bkft: T-burger, shrooms, scallions, cheese. (Mozzarella) egg.
The ankle is 98%, I’d say. Not sure if jumping squats would be wise, but maybe lunges. Functional Fitness today. So good activities day.

Gig: so far, so good. Not sleepy or hungry.

Round II: [N] –
Lunch – Tootsie’s 69%, kale, chicken, cottage cheese.

[eyes DP… 32/32.5]
Yogurt and blowout stack.
Round III: [X-F]
Head to the Y, fueled up, upper body, maybe some legs.  
YMCA – Pre-BCAAs & BY (4 each)
Back work , bent bb rows, 5 sets and pull ups, neutral.

Seated Row (Cable) low pull.
High-Row 45 lbs plate. Shoulder raise (cable).
Then class, about 75%
Aminos and glutamine after and Apple.
Ride Home.
Home – eat. Turkey soup.
Chill, write H2O almonds, blueberries.
Weigh out 183.4 [+.8]
Round IV: [NF].


80916 – Tuesday [#52]:  Wake 0400.

AMX – ice ankle. Stretch, side crunches – Chair yoga practice.
Tea –
Weigh in: [-1.4]
Round I: [N] –
Bkft: - cottage cheese, shrooms, scallions.
Good gait to the station. Okay up the steps. Need more chair yoga and joint work.
Gig: T-mix.. gone. No meat today? Maybe?
Lunch – Park’s 69% HB eggs, greens, avo, cottage cheese.
Round II: [N] -
Pick up nuts – 15 mins walk to subway station. Hot day.
Home – tea.
Meal: 2 egg quesadilla shrooms and scallions and cheese.
Round III: [N] – more tea.
Weigh out – 183.4 [+1.4] flattened out.
Made the day.. no meat… But I’ll eat meat tomorrow.

81016 – Wednesday [#53]: wake normal.

AMX – yoga chair, twist, stretch. More focus on obliques and hips (open)
Tea –
Weigh in – [-1.6]
Bkft: Free range burger, cottage cheese, shrooms, potato shreds, scallions.
Mas agua en la casa.

Fairly sore today. Pants feel looser. Energized walk. Strong up the all steps. Ankle better. The test is for it to stop getting stiff after in activity.

Gig: T-mix and vits.
Round I: [NF]

Lunch – Park’s 71% Turkey, greens, cottage cheese, avos. Not that hungry. I can eat this slowly.

Round II: [NFS]

YMCA – pre supps: BCAA & BY
Round II: [F] – Hot muggy day. Soup!!
Warm ups – wall ball and crawl.
DB bench presses – went up to 70 lbs (max is 75- will get there soon enough and then have to go to a proper gym for heavier weights – or switch to bench presses.)
Leg Presses – going proper. Maxed at 10 plates. Let myself get stronger before doing 14 (630 lbs) – I want to rock this deep for high reps.
Shin flex, inverted pulls, handstand hold and pushups, headstand (crunches) extensions, and shoulder pushups. Good program.
Trolley to AQ Diner – sausage eggs, H2O and probably walk home. Got to use today’s energy.
Walked home, tea, chill, sweat.
Round III: [BF] – newish pattern. Juice (homemade) and tea.
Weigh out 183 [+1.2].
Lots of sweat flowing. Fan tonight. No music.

81116 – Thursday [#54]: wake 0359, let’s say. Tight rt calf/ankle work me right up on time.

AMX – chair 7 floor stretches, slow progress, but improving.
Tea-
Weigh in [-1.4]  humid day again. 3 rounds of meat yesterday.. AM beef burger, turkey for lunch and pork sausage after the gym. I will probably do meat today also.

Round I: [T] –
Gig; Juicin… pushing back the solid food for a minute. T-mix…
“Lunch” seaweed. Yogurt and herb-stack.
Round II: [T] Meat slowing me down?? Low cals today. No workout scheduled.

Home – burger and potato shreds, cottage cheese, tea & sweat.
Round III: [T-L] –
Round IV: [T-N] – continued – delayed.
Head out to meet up with Dan.

Meal (out) chicken, salmon salad (bar) w/ feta. Not bad.
H2O – Can probably do another tea at home. Good meet with Dan.

HOME; tea and more sweat.

The fat on the belly seems to be sloooowly reducing. I still think it’s Philly (angst) fat… so when I leave, it leaves… or maybe I believe this so much it’s true. It’s also that I sit around all day. Inactivity plays a big role, so I’ll have to get a gig that keeps me active and moving. It will be tough since I’m not used to it.

ACV & Chlorella before bed. Too many T’s today.
Weigh out 183.2 +1.6 G’nite.


81216 – Friday [#55]: Wake 0400 – Body alarm is working. Good sleep. No dreams to remember.

Had to iron clothes so AMX was brief.
Round I: [N]-ish
Weigh in [-2] – weight changing, ratio is steady.
Humid this morning. Does this effect gravity?
Tea- (before the weigh in)
Bkft – fruit, protein, chia, crea shake. Stomach a little funny.
Gig – Apple & Trail mix, blueberries.
Round II: [X-FS]
Round III: [N] – blowout stack.
Go to the Y.. BWT – legs and pulls and experiment. Maybe incline bench, lunges??

YMCA – Pre-supps: BCAA’s BY.

BWT Legs – a good amount of legs including thigh dips – last set with 10s. assisted pistol squats on db.. much assistance. Really need to tighten core area for this one. Got some good hang work in and twist work. (Cable twists.) Mule kicks, no weight, a high plange (3 point) but hands were flat on the mat (I call that progress). Crow pose into headstand and back. Abs work. Over all a good workout. 90 minutes.

Round III:[N] – interrupted

Hot, super humid. Looks like rain. I feel good though. AQ diner or home? The egg 7 saugage post up usually does me good, though.  (AQ it is… the usual.)

Home – tea and sweat. Humid. No AC, chores and flick. ACV.
Weigh out 181.2 No gain today. Break even and drop over night. Ciao.


81316 – Saturday [#56]:  wake 0611
Round I: [BF] – surprise.
AMX – normal, twist, stretch, tight and tired today. Chair work, side work. Maybe Y again. Upper body and vanity (arms).

Round II: [BFF] weekend sell off with that hint of chlorella. Longer journey or maybe not.
Second tea.

Weigh in [-1] – back in good turf (orange) long fast and +2 rounds. Nearly 1000 and time to mange.

Bkft – salmon and cottage cheese.
Another hot, humid, soupy day… about an hour and I hit the Y. staying upper and away from the legs. Bkft makin’ me sweat.
Dropped a pound over night – best digits in a while.  26 days since I was under 180. And nearly 50 days since I spent any significant time (3 days) under 180. Don’t know how long this one will last.
Creatine fruit shake and blowout stack. I think this drink drained energy. Maybe  blood sugar drop? 1 hour nap and digest food.

Round III: [N] –

YMCA – Vanity Day – pre supps BCAA – BY.
Incline DB press 30s to 55s and some shrugs.
Seated cable row up to 150.
Decline bb on smith – high in the chest and wide grip, light weights.
Seated shoulder presses + bent flies.
Bent arm shoulder laterals (cable) – mostly lifting moderate weight. 90 minutes (I may have missed an exercise or two.)
Post aminos and glutamine.
97F – too humid to walk and I need to eat.
Meal – spicy beef salad at the Thai spot, which is just enough. This could be a regular stop.. $8.00 recovery meal… cool with that. Training with Dan F in Clark Park next

Round IV & V: [Q-P] – This was an event. Don’t know where it came from, the heat, food, a bug but… it was refreshing.
Green Line iced tea -
Short instructional workout with Dan and just chilled in the park and watched a Jazz performance for a while.

Meal (gift) jerk chicken, mac n cheese and collards. Had to finish this meal in two parts. Some, on the run.
Parkway walk 1 mile
Weigh out 181.4 [+1.2] Maybe some iced tea.

Iced tea – broke out into a heavy sweat. Hot tea, same. Something’s odd about the way the bod behaved/reacted today. Maybe a little more efficient at detoxifying. Maybe it (I/we) let go of something we didn’t know we had. Anyway… good way to end a session.

End of Session Four

No comments:

Post a Comment